Florida’s SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo, the world’s largest fly-in event and 2nd largest air show, attracts more than 225,000 sport aviation enthusiasts and pilots to the annual event.
In addition to the displays and spectacular air shows, the six-day event includes a major trade show with more than 500 exhibitors of aviation products and services. You can experience hands-on workshops, dozens of education forums and a career fair to keep pilots and others in the aviation community up to date on new products, safety protocols and other topics.
The next SUN ‘n FUN expo is scheduled for March 28 to April 2, 2023, so you have ample time to prepare. Whether you intend to fly in or shop for an aircraft at the event, this SUN ‘n FUN checklist can help ensure you’re ready.
The 2023 SUN ‘n FUN Checklist
Here is a checklist of everything you’ll want to have on hand to ensure your days and nights at SUN ‘n FUN are enjoyable ones.
Aircraft Camping Essentials
There is plenty of camping space at SUN ‘n FUN, and many pilots camp with their planes. It is a great way to interact with other aviation enthusiasts and see their aircraft. If you’re planning on flying in, you’ll want to have the following items on hand:
- Required aircraft documentation: The SUN ‘n FUN NOTAM and your camping/parking designation window sign
- Aircraft essentials: Shades and/or covers, tie downs and anything else you’ll need to keep your aircraft secure.
- Cool weather clothing: Nights and early mornings can sometimes be cool in Florida, even though the days can get quite hot, so you may want to dress in layers.
- Shower essentials: Besides the toiletries you usually pack for travel, bring towels and flip-flops for the on-site showers.
Flight Line Essentials
Whether you fly in or drive, you’ll likely spend time on the flight line, and you never know what weather you’ll get in Florida – hot, cool, wet or dry. You want to be prepared for any combination. Here are some essentials you’ll want to bring for your time outdoors:
- Sun protection: Be sure to have a hat, plenty of sunscreen, lip balm, and sunglasses, especially if you aren’t accustomed to Florida heat and humidity.
- Rain protection: You’ll probably want a poncho and an umbrella.
- Water: Drinking plenty of water is essential so dehydration does not become part of your SUN’ n FUN experience.
- Comfort: You’ll want a comfortable place to sit and relax while you enjoy the airshows, and don’t forget to bring comfortable shoes for all the walking you’ll likely be doing.
- Memories: If you’ll be taking lots of pictures, don’t forget an extra SD card and your camera or phone charger.
- Ear protection: You know how important it is to have earplugs and ear protection when you’re around loud aircraft so don’t forget to pack them.
Aircraft Shopping Essentials
If you’re in the market for a new aircraft, SUN ‘n FUN is the place to speak to dealers and check out the many aircraft options. To make the most of your time:
- Do your homework: Do plenty of research before arriving at SUN ‘n FUN so you know which aircraft you want to explore and what questions to ask.
- Determine your budget: An aircraft is a considerable investment, so you need to know how much aircraft you can afford in terms of financing and ownership costs.
- Get an insurance quote: Having the proper aircraft insurance is essential to protecting your investment, so getting quotes for any type of aircraft you might be interested in buying can be beneficial.
With SUN’ n FUN being the world’s largest fly-in event, every pilot in attendance should be concerned with their own safety and that of every other pilot and aircraft in attendance. You’ll find plenty of pilot safety information on the SUN ‘n FUN website, including the SUN ‘n FUN NOTAM.
Don’t forget to have proper aircraft insurance before taking off to the event – especially with the number of aircraft flying in and out during the week. It might be helpful to speak with an aircraft insurance broker to determine if you’re fully covered for anything that could happen at the expo.
Hope To See You at SUN ‘n FUN 2023
SUN ‘n FUN is an opportunity for the aviation community to gather for a week of aviation celebration and education. With this handy SUN ‘n FUN checklist and the proper aircraft insurance, you’ll be fully prepared to partake in next year’s SUN ‘n FUN festivities.
To learn about the many benefits of attending SUN ‘n FUN or BWI Aviation Insurance, don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 800-666-4359. You can also fill out the form on our website to request an aircraft insurance quote online.
Why Shop for Aircraft Insurance at BWI Aviation Insurance Agency?
Aircraft insurance can be a sticky topic, particularly when deciding how much coverage fits your bill. Before settling on a best-fit figure, you must select the appropriate aircraft coverage type, factor in your flight hours, aircraft type, and passenger load. This is hectic even when you have time.
At BWI, we understand the complexity of shopping for aircraft insurance, which is why we simplify and streamline the entire process for our customers. When your trust us to provide you with aircraft insurance, you’ll get low rates, fast quotes, and coverage you can always count on.
Call 800.666.4359 today for a free Airplane Insurance Quote or Click Here to submit a quote request online.
BWI is the Nation’s Leader in Aviation Insurance, with offices based in Corona, CA and Anchorage, AK.