Seaplane insurance covers your float equipped or flying boat aircraft for liability and hull damage.
Owning and flying seaplanes is an amazing experience. The freedom of being able to land on any lake or water surface is truly liberating.
As fun and exciting as it is to fly a seaplane, it’s also important to ensure that proper liability and insurance coverage is in place. This is to protect the pilot, the aircraft owner and all passengers.
Seaplane insurance covers both flying boats and floatplanes. A floatplane is defined as an aircraft equipped with floats or amphibious floats.
What Does Seaplane Insurance Cover?
Seaplane Insurance has two main coverages: Liability and Hull Coverage.
- Liability is a standard coverage in every aircraft insurance policy. It covers damage resulting in bodily injury, property damage and legal defense.
- Aircraft liability insurance coverage is typically offered at $1,000,000 per occurrence. It is also usually limited to $100,000 per passenger (higher limits may be available)
- Aircraft liability insurance does not include coverage for the pilot.
- Hull coverage covers damage to the aircraft itself.
- With seaplane insurance, the total amount of hull coverage you have includes coverage for both the aircraft and the floats.
- It’s worth knowing however that coverage for the floats is usually noted or limited as specified during the quoting process.
- An example of seaplane hull coverage: A Cessna 185 valued at $125,000, with amphibious floats worth $50,000 would have a total hull insured value of $205,000
Seaplanes might be easier to land, but in the event of an accident it could incur a higher liability risk due to the added risk of landing on water. Therefore, it is very important that you have an adequate seaplane insurance policy with the correct coverage limits.
Here at BWI we offer seaplane insurance. We work with all of the major aviation insurance companies to find exactly the right policy, at the right price for your seaplane. We have specialized in Aviation Insurance since 1977, our office is open 12 hours a day and we are licensed in all 50 states.
Speak to one of our knowledgable seaplane insurance agents today at 800-666-4350 or submit a quick quote online.
BWI is the Nation’s Leader in Aviation Insurance with offices in California and Alaska.